24hrs before I ship off…
I will be starting my next project on the plane. Stay tuned!
On Wednesday, I found an ad on Craigslist with a heading that said Singer commercial sewing machine – $50. Seeing that I gave my portable singer to me moms, I thought, why not. Upon further investigation, it was a Singer Model 241-11! So I gave the lady a call and arranged for a Sat. morning pickup. After researching this 241-11 to death on thursday, I realized that I would only be able to do a straight stitch with this machine. So I started searching for another portable that would give me some stitch patterns, and stumbled upon this Necchi.
Isn’t she beautiful… Necchi 575FA
Saturday morning, I ripped the passenger seat out and filled my car with moving blankets.
And came home with the Singer!
Spent an hour putting her back together. Here, the table is back together and the oil pan is in. What you’re seeing is the foot pedal to the clutch of the 1/2 hp motor. The knee pad is to lift the foot so both of your hands are free at all times.
The body is hinged from the back and opens up to the oil pan. I took the filter out and replaced the gasket to ensure that there is plenty of flow. These industrial machines are self lubricating, there is a gear driven pump that feed oil to all the right spots!
The table drawer was stuff with all the accessories, bobbins, and thread. So I had to make an organizer to store it all.
I had a bunch of scrap aluminum left over from the Sprite restoration.
After several folds and cuts, this is what I ended up with. Not mind blowing, but does the trick.
I also brought all of my sewing stuff together and started organizing everything. The vintage briefcase was perfect for everything I needed on the go, thanks Dena!
Restoring this car will be an experience I will remember for the rest of my life. I just wanted to take a moment to thank everyone.
Alan – Thank you for being so generous, I would still be figuring out the electrics right now if it wasn’t for you. I have learnt so much from another great mentor.
Chris – You’re always so positive, you and Alan are awesome, and so is the Fisher Fam.
Friends in Boston – Thanks for listening to me rant on a daily basis… What are we doing this Friday?
Friends in TO – Thank you for all the talks… they kept me sane.
Anna & Tiff – Thank you for following and supporting me every step of the way…
Dad & Mom – The best way of learning is through example. It’s your turn to enjoy life now. We all love you.
Saturday mornin, and we’re all loaded up!
And we’re off!
Lunch break = photo op.
Back on the road with Alan & Chris aka… the Bickersons.
At 9:30pm, we finally got the car unloaded, and the trailer parked… time to button up the final details and do a quick clean… Bri & How, I can’t thank you enough… How helped me out until 5:30am. We drove the car over to my parents place and neutraled her into the garage.
Sunday afternoon, we wait for them in the garage.
Bing!… my dad said holy sh*t four times… ha
This was what I had envisioned since March.
Papa et moi on our maiden voyage!
That night we had Chris & Alan over for Turducken! (Turkey>duck>chicken stuffed in one!) Made by Tiff and Darrick. It was amazing guys!
Enroute back to Boston… we took a quick detour through Vermont.
The weather was perfect… and the scenery left me speechless.
I will leave you with this picture… This weekend could not have been more perfect.
I’m pretty tired right now… so I’ll let the pics do some typin.
Cutting to the chase, I have to swap emblems.
Emblems out… not lookin too hot.
Centers are out.
After first wet sand.
after 4 wet sanding passes (2000 Grit) and Menzerna polish.
But the cooler part is salvaging the other one.
I mean… not bad right?
That will be a nice final touch… I can’t want to put it on.
Less than a week from the delivery date, most of you would probably look at this post and cringe… probably because what I’m still doing wouldn’t really be considered finishing touches.
So I read this hack online on how to hook up a 3.5mm headphone jack into the head unit. So that was pretty much Friday night.
The CD player module is out… now the hunt for the 3 leads Rch, Lch, GND.
Found them and soldered 3 leads… basically what this does is tap into the radio signal’s input. The signal from the mp3 player overpowers that of the radio signal… and voila… you have tunes.
Well that’s how the cord looks like after it’s done…
So I arrive at Allan’s house on Saturday, and we decide to drop the tank…
Although my wallet can’t handle such abuse… I’m glad we dropped the tank… Here’s Alan taking the old fuel sending unit out… Thank you again for everything Alan.
This is why… that is rust getting dumped out… how much??
This much… and we haven’t even emptied the tank yet… we are guessing most of the problems we faced with the carbs are from the clogging of the tank… which caused the fuel to surge.
I got home early Saturday evening and decided to work on the spare tire cover.
It’s one of those items that the fancy show cars have… and I wanted my parents to have fancy… ha
Quick test fit.
Continuing that rope theme… that is probably the biggest needle/thread combo.. =)
I started packing up all of my detailing stuff for Sunday.
Sunday Joe came by to lend a hand. Alan unveiled his latest purchase… a widebody mkII with a 13B rotary from an RX-7… 2 of my favourite things.
We retrofitted a tach and a fuel gauge with newer internals…
Here’s the spare in the trunk… erm… so much for groceries.
Last but not least… a horn button!!! I was going to make the internals myself… but Alan found an one in his gigantic stash of parts.